*information for this post was in part supplied by Hormel Foods through their Hormel Extended Family Blogger program. No compensation was received for this post.October is National Chili Month. With the temperatures starting to feel like fall and football in full swing, it feels like the right month to celebrate the wonderful world of chili to me.
For me, the answer is always No Beans, which my son is aligned to. For my husband and my daughter, they generally enjoy the beans. As a result, we always make the beans on the side. After prepping the chili, I will scoop out about 1/2 cup of the chili and add it to the kidney beans in a separate pan and allow all of that to simmer together.
There are so many different ways to enjoy chili. The first we like is Cincinnati-style chili. I make a homemade version, but a trip to Skyline Chili, planned or unplanned is always a nice treat. When we make it at home, we enjoy it on pasta and on coney dogs. I also make a more traditional 'soup' style chili using ground meat, diced tomatoes and vegetable juice as my foundation. Sometimes, we will have a chicken chili. For us, oyster crackers and hot sauce are always on the table when we enjoy chili.
Another way we like to enjoy our chili is as part of an appetizer. Who can resist the warm cheesy goodness of the classic Chili Cheese Dip with tortillas? - Not I...which usually means I eat more than I planned.
Whether you prefer it in a bowl, in a dip, or as a topping, chili is a fabulous comfort food for the fall and winter seasons. That’s why it is perfect that October has been deemed “National Chili Month.” Did you know that Hormel® chili is considered America’s number one canned chili? Prior to 1935, chili was popular only in the Southern, Southwestern and Western regions of the United States. Hormel Foods is responsible for introducing chili to the Midwest as well as introducing new, unique ways to eat and enjoy chili!
While many people think chili is best served in a bowl, three-fourths of users actually enjoy chili as a topping, making favorites such as nachos, rice and dips even more fun and delicious.
In honor of National Chili Month, Hormel has put together a full menu of suggestions for each meal occasion - breakfast, lunch and dinner - featuring Hormel® chili!
* Fiesta Brunch Casserole: This delicious, baked casserole can be prepared in individual tortilla bowls for easy and personalized enjoyment.
* Chili Topped Breakfast Burritos: Give your morning an extra kick by topping your breakfast burritos with your favorite variety of Hormel® chili.
* Chili Pizza: Put a fun twist on your otherwise ordinary pizza by adding a new and interesting topping; chili! Supplement with your favorite veggies and cheeses.
* Taco Soup: This tasty soup boasts the perfect combination of spice and flavor thanks to CHI-CHI’s salsa, Hormel® chili and cheese.
* Chili Mac: This easy and hearty meal is a great dish for the whole family and is sure to keep you warm in those fall and winter months.
* Chili and Cheese Quesadillas: Top these unique quesadillas with your favorite condiments for a quick dinner dish.
I think the one that sounds the most unique and that I think I might include in a menu plan soon is the Chili Pizza (minus the mushrooms please!). It sounds delicious and like something that the family would enjoy.
How do you enjoy your chili? Do you have it with or without beans?
No compensation was received for this post. All opinions expressed are mine or those of my family. I am completing this post as a participant in the Hormel Foods Extended Family Blogger program. Hormel Foods provided some product and some of the information for this post.