Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks and parenting expert Dr. Michele Borba have partnered to make giving back easy though the “Win & Give” campaign. Now through May, kids in the U.S. have a chance to win laptops and help donate laptops to kids in Africa. The campaign shows moms and kids that even the smallest of acts can make a big difference and that giving to others can be fun.
“Research shows that providing children with opportunities and experiences to feel the joy and impact of giving to others helps them grow into kind, empathetic and respectful adults,” said Dr. Michele Borba, parenting expert. “As part of my work with Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks, I recently traveled to Rwanda and saw the incredible impact laptops have on kids in Africa. The smiles and excitement I saw on the children’s faces was amazing. They are so appreciative for the gifts that kids in the U.S. have given them. The ‘Win & Give’ campaign truly makes a difference and it’s so easy for kids in the U.S. to get involved.”
Having a giving heart is important, as 93 percent of moms would exude more pride if their children grew into giving adults than if they were wealthy, according to the “Kids’ Altruism Indicator .” But, between work, school and after-school activities, it can be hard for families to find the time to give back. Dr. Borba recommends five ways families can incorporate giving into their everyday lives:
• Tap into kids’ passions. For instance, an animal lover may get excited about helping at a local animal shelter. Encourage children to become involved in causes they care about. Let them lead the charge and follow-up with support.
• When watching the news, take the time to explain hot button issues and how people have been affected by local disasters, like hurricanes or tornados. Kids are compassionate and may proactively want to help by donating clothes or writing letters to those affected. Especially when they know they can make a difference. Take that moment to mobilize compassion - “What can we do?” is a great question that empowers children to lead the way.
• Be on the lookout for local opportunities to help. There are often ways families can help through local food or clothes drives. Parents and kids should do the activity together so they can experience and witness the impact of giving as a family. Kids will see the joy their parents get from giving back and it will help them catch the spirit of giving.
• Leverage holidays to talk to kids about giving back. For example, talk about giving around the winter holidays or discuss the troops around 4th of July and Memorial Day. Don’t forget to put the talk into action. Become a home that encourages giving, the more active kids are in experiencing giving, the more likely they are to develop empathy.
• Find easy ways to help others around the world through opportunities such as helping to give laptops to kids in Africa through the Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks “Win & Give” campaign.
“Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks believes that every kid can be a hero, so we’re helping them make a great impact on the lives of kids in Africa,” said Ben Mand, brand marketing manager, Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks. “The ‘Win & Give’ campaign provides kids in the U.S. an opportunity to win a laptop, as well as the chance to see the impact these laptops have on students in Africa.”
To participate in the “Win & Give” campaign, simply look for specially-marked Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snack packages at your local store. Each specially-marked package contains a code that you can enter at WinOneGiveOne.com to see if you’ve won an XO laptop. For every child that wins in the U.S., Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks, in partnership with the non-profit One Laptop per Child, will donate a laptop to a child in Africa. Additionally, every code that is entered at WinOneGiveOne.com will help donate additional laptops to kids in Africa (one additional laptop for each 100 UPCs entered). So, even if you don't win, the children in Africa still will!
For more information about the “Win & Give” campaign, please visit WinOneGiveOne.com. The website allows parents and kids to see the powerful impact laptops have on kids in Rwanda with videos from the students who received the laptops and their teachers. Additionally, Dr. Borba shares her experience participating in the laptop donation, as well as her tips to help parents instill giving in their kids.
For me, this is an easy contest to enter and an easy way to give back. I like to keep fruit snacks on hand. They are an easy snack that I can keep in my purse for those times where the kids need a snack while we are out. In fact, I picked up a specially marked box of Betty Crocker Fruit Snacks this weekend. I was hopeful to find a winning code inside, but it was not.
Thanks to Betty Crocker Fruit Snacks, you have a chance to win an XO Laptop not only by buying specially marked boxes, but also by entering this giveaway!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
The giveaway is open only to residents of the US. Winner will be responsible for any taxes associated with the prize. Entries for the giveaway will be accepted until April 18th. At that time, I will select a winner. The winner will have 48 hours to reply or a new winner will be selected. Laptop will not be shipped until the Win & Give Campaign is over.
No compensation was received for this post, but I will receive a box of assorted Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks. Information about the Win & Give campaign was shared with me by Betty Crocker Fruit Flavored Snacks and they are providing the prize pack for one reader. All opinions expressed in this post are my own.